Saturday, April 28, 2012

Riding a Nervous Horse

A dozen false starts:
You're such a fool, I said,
Spooking at shadows when
All day you were calm,
Placidly nosing the bushes
That now you pretend are strange,
Are struck with menace.

But he shuddered, stubborn
He feels like a wound spring ready to explode.
In his horsy posture,
Saying that I brought
Devils with me that he
Could hear gathering in all
The places behind him as I
Diverted his coherence
With my chatter and tack.

Indeed I have stolen
Something, a careful attention
I claim for my own yearning
Purpose, while he
Is left alone to guard
Us both from horse eaters
That merely grin at me
But I lust for him, for

The beauty of the haunch
My brush has polished, revealing
Treasures of edible light
In the shift of hide and hooves.

Author: Vicki Hearne



No comments:

Post a Comment